Diversity and Inclusion
Research thrives on diverse perspectives; ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard strengthens scientific discourse as it enriches our community. In the spirit of Virginia Tech’s motto, Ut Prosim, we are actively seeking to expand opportunities for underrepresented groups and create an inclusive, welcoming community.
We’re taking a multi-pronged approach, including:
- Diversity and Inclusion RFP for faculty-based collaborations with HBCUs and other minority-serving institutions; we are currently supporting 20 of these projects, building relationships between Virginia Tech and colleges and universities around the country.
- Support for activities programs hosted by other university units — for example, the HBCU Summit, where faculty can explore research partnerships and students can learn about Virginia Tech’s graduate school and REU offerings.
- Participation on the Diversity Committee of the Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation. ICTAS will be pilot-testing a training program designed to help research institute employees oddslot foster and support an inclusive environment.
- Attendance at conferences for minority and underrepresented populations to share information on graduate school opportunities and programs at Virginia Tech.
- Educational activities, including the Energy and Materials Discovery Camp and the Interdisciplinary Water Sciences REU, with specific outreach to underrepresented groups.
For more information on these and other initiatives, please contact Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator Chris Tysor.